We are seeking a Youth Education Advocate to join our team at our campus for families. The candidate will be responsible to develop and implement programs and activities to assist with a youth program that supports our commitment to enrich and enhance the lives of our children living at the Family Campus. Hours are generally 40 hours per week, and will be set to best meet the needs of the children/youth. Flexible schedules are allowed when working evenings or weekends.
Some essential functions and responsibilities include:
- Develop programs and activities to assist with their educational needs.
- Work collaboratively with the Youth Services Coordinator in developing enriching activities and field trips for the youth.
- Provide feedback to youth using positive reinforcement techniques to encourage, motivate, and build confidence.
- Monitor youth educational performance and advocate for youth in school.
- Communicate effectively with parents and encourage parental attendance at school meetings, and model/coach parents in how to advocate for their child.
- Assist parents in navigating the educational system so the parent will eventually begin to schedule school meetings.
- Demonstrate a basic knowledge of lesson planning as it pertains to the clients’ IEP or individual education plan.
- Keep the environment organized to promote educational productivity and learning.
- Schedule tutoring appointments with students.
- Review class material with students by discussing text, working solutions to problems, or reviewing worksheets or other assignments.
- Coordinate a variety of educational activities for youth including field trips, guest speakers and presentations, career days and job shadowing, volunteer opportunities, and college planning and career exploration.
- Redirect negative behaviors.
- Communicate with his/her supervisor and co-workers to determine needs.
- Coordinate with the Youth Education Coordinator to create or find programs that meet the specific needs of the group.
- Coordinate with the Youth Education Coordinator to ensure that each activity has personnel, monetary and material needs in order to be effective.
- Ensure that each activity has proper supervision for the number of expected participants and that all supervisors or program leaders have adequate resources.
- Ensure that material and monetary needs such as books, paper, sports equipment or art supplies are assessed and provided by the coordinator or other agreed-upon party.
- Ensure that programs and activities are communicated to the youth. This may include personal invitations or greater marketing endeavors, such as creating promotional posters or flyers. The promotional aspect of the position may also include making the general public or grant committees aware of the youth programs and activities.
- Ensure that all service providers are behaving appropriately and fulfilling their duties, which will often include being present during the youth activities.
- Build relationships with the youth and mentor and guide them as needed.
- Perform additional duties as assigned by the Family Campus Supervisor eaccording to business needs.
Requirements for the position include:
- Requires Bachelor’s degree in social work, psychology or mental health counseling.
- Minimum of one-year experience in the social work field preferred.
- Familiarity with local support groups and agencies that provide services preferred.
- Requires excellent verbal and communication skills.
- Computer skill, including a working knowledge of Office 97 or higher required.
- Requires ability to operate business equipment used daily within the organization.
- Requires ability to learn and use whatever documentation system appropriate to their program, including electronic databases to document case notes.
- Requires completion of certification training within the first 90 days of employment.
Special Requirements and Physical Demands:
- The ability to conduct numerous and frequent client intake assessments, action plans and referrals which may require sitting for long periods of time.
- May require lifting up to 15 lbs.